A monthly exploration of international cuisines.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dang Dangos

Okay. Finally. The Japanese dessert.

Dangos are dang hard to make. I'm not even fully sure I made them correctly... And frankly, I'm a little scared to actually taste them. Might just be one of those dishes I have the Boyfriend Unit eat before I risk my own taste buds.

Fun fact: Dangos are dumplings that can be either savory or sweet. They are usually served on bamboo skewers.

I found my recipe on The Anime Blog, and decided to create the Easy Dango:

          1 cup mochiko (sweet rice flour)
          1/4 boiling water


  • Fill medium sized saucepan with water and boil
  • Slowly add a small amount of water to the mochiko and carefully knead dough together
  • Keep slowly adding water until dough is the consistency and texture of an earlobe
  • Form dough into small balls and add them to boiling water
  • Cook for 8 minutes or until they float to the surface


Fun fact: Bocchan dango has three colors. One is colored by red beans, the second by eggs, and the third by green tea. I just used food dye.

Dangos are often accompanied with sauces. I sprinkled white & brown sugar on top.


So end result - worse dish I have ever made. Don't make dangos. At least, not these dangos. There are some recipes that require the balls to be grilled instead of boiled, which seems more promising. But it's probably best if you just bake some plain ol' chocolate chip cookies for dessert instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment